The GD&T Engineer applies Dimensional Engineering principles and analytical techniques to control fit and finish requirements of product, components and assemblies. The Dimensional Engineer’s responsibilities within these categories are described as follows:
Physical Demands/Work Environment -
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability, and/or physical demands required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/Special Knowledge -
- Place DTS (Dimensional Technical Specifications) values onto criteria/typical sections.
- Coordinates with Designers and product engineers to ensure dimensional deliverables are completed on a timely basis.
- Perform detailed statistical analysis using variation simulation software, both 1-dimensional and 3-D Monte Carlo Simulation (3DCS) along with root sum square (RSS) analysis.
- Develop datum locating strategies for product details and assemblies and provide datum coordination from assemblies down to piece parts.
- Create Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T) detail drawings in accordance with American Society of Mechanical Engineers, ASME Y14-5-2009 or customer specific standards to support product development.
- Provide detailed measurement plans for piece parts and assemblies.
- Facilitate coordination of electronic data transmission of measurement point data from Tier 2 suppliers to the client and OEM on piece parts and assemblies.
- Develop/maintain a vehicle specification drawing (CVS) or Build Objective Book for program.
- Designate Key Product Characteristics (KPC’s) and/or Significant/Critical characteristics (SC’s or CC’s).
- Coordinate functional evaluation builds (FE events) with supplier data, KPC data, and Measurement roadmaps.
- Provide in-plant support for meeting and validating dimensional characteristics for all phases of build at company and customer sites (concept, prototype, pilot, and launch).
- Validate check fixtures shall be in accordance with released GD&T detail drawings. Support development of fixtures and gage certification as required by program team.
- Perform root cause analysis, using actual measured data and statistical analysis.
BSME or recognized equivalent work experience. Specific training in SPC methods including Basic statistics (mean, range, Std Dev.,CpK), GD&T and specific software techniques (VSA modeling, etc), .
10+ years of diversified experience in a Dimensional Engineering capacity. Program launch experience preferred.
Normal amount of sitting or standing, average mobility to move around an office environment, able to conduct normal amount of work at a computer, may require local, domestic, and international travel.