The Senior Manager of Audio Transducer Engineering manages a team of 10+ engineers. This person manages internal resource levels as well as the budget for external resources. They ensure the transducer engineering products align to a global platform and lead the transducer engineering team to meet all product technical requirements and customer deliveries.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Engineering department consists of transducer engineers in the US.
- Leads team to develop new automotive speakers with highly technical solutions for the latest transducer innovations in design, materials, and manufacturing methods. Speakers are used in automotive audio systems for OEMS in NA, Asia, and Europe.
- Ensures product design teams are properly managed with sufficient resources to meet customer requirements while enforcing all customer quality processes. Drive toward zero customer defects. Drive toward first-pass success for DV and PV testing.
- Ensures engineering best practices are developed, maintained, and implemented.
- Establishes, maintains, and continually improves global processes for the development, integration, and release of designs.
- Ensures cost targets are achieved for products. Maintains status of product cost compared to target and escalates when target is not being achieved.
- Ensures on-time support for design, development and delivery activities and interfacing with sales, customers, other engineering organizations. Also provides coordination with manufacturing, supplier engineering, quality and the counterparts in Europe and China or other off-shore engineering organizations.
- Manages resource levels and determines if outside resources are required to complete planned workload. Manages selection and usage of outside resources to meet project deliverables on-time with zero defects.
- Maintains engineering staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting and training employees. Supervises engineering personnel through coaching, planning, monitoring, and appraising of job performance. Ensures succession plans are in place to develop and retain talent.
- Participates in proposal preparation to customer requests and other sales opportunities that may arise. Ensures cost estimates provided to sales team are achievable.
- Interfaces with customers both internal and external to ascertain customer satisfaction and takes appropriate action to ensure customer satisfaction relative to group performance.
- Coordinates introduction of new technologies from the advanced development or systems departments into new product designs.
- Continuously investigates new technology opportunities and plans for evaluation and integration into product designs.
- Ensures appropriate design tools are available, maintained, and capable of operation at the highest efficiency.
- Support manufacturing test development teams to ensure manufacturing testing functions properly and aligns with product developed.
- Support validation team in development of test planning and methods
- Works on global annual transducer engineering budget, headcount and other administrative duties.
- Coordinates with Software, Acoustics, Advanced technologies, and Mechanical engineering departments in order to improve overall solution with focus on meeting customer requirements and expectations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Master’s degree preferred
- 15+ years related technical experience
· 5+ years of management experience, and at least 5 years of automotive industry experience in Audio systems.
- Experience in transducer engineering and the manufacturing of plastic and metal parts
- Must be able to articulate vision and influence decision making outcomes with internal stakeholders, external suppliers, and the customer.
- Must have a "whatever-it-takes" attitude using diplomatic leadership skills within a collaborative teamwork environment to accomplish the necessary results.
- Proven and effective communication, analytical, judgment, initiative and execution skills.
- Expertise in driving complex cost reduction projects and program deliverables
- Business acumen
- Analytical thinking
- Drive for Results, Team Player, Change Orientation, Customer Focus, Self Awareness
- Experience with managing distributed development teams
- Willingness to travel 15% of the time
- Willingness to work in an office in Novi, Michigan
- Willingness to submit to a background screen and a drug test
- Ability to multitask and work flexible hours as required