The senior-level Exterior / Interior Lighting Engineer will have ownership to conceptualize, design and develop various lighting elements within the Body Engineering organization. The person in this role will support the Exteriors department's objective to manage a successful launch of exterior lighting development from concept stage through production to ensure customer satisfaction for the global automotive market. The Exterior / Interior Lighting Engineer will report to the Department Manager.
- Lead the development of unique, innovative and advanced engineering lighting concepts and assembly designs - continuing these through release and product launch support;
- Engineer mechanical, electromechanical, lighting components along with A-class surface and electronics integration;
- Perform feasibility checks with respect to lighting, manufacturing, control & design aspects;
- Work diligently with suppliers to develop each applicable component/sub-system to meet all weight, cost, durability, and performance targets;
- Effectively collaborate with other engineering groups, suppliers and the leadership team to meet engineering deliverables within tight time constraints;
- Ensure compliance of the system and component designs with all vehicle/component requirements, quality objectives, program milestones, performance, cost, weight & safety.
- Experience in automotive component and subsystem engineering, demonstrating technical aptitude from concept through release and launch for production;
- Understand the fundamental differences in design and engineering of premium luxury lighting and systems and have examples or a portfolio of completed programs;
- In-depth technical expertise with the latest manufacturing technologies and feasibility execution to achieve systems requirements and world-class craftsmanship/performance targets;
- Proficiency in 3D modeling utilizing CATIA V5 within an automotive product development environment;
- Strong working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including familiarity with modern GD&T and dimensional engineering practices;
- Experience with technical documentation in at least 1 full life cycle vehicle programs to include DVP&R and DFMEA;
- Utilize DFSS methodologies as appropriate during the design, validation and launch of the programs;
- Collaborate with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to transition concepts and designs to production;
- Proven ability to manage difficult projects with tight timing constraints and provide examples of such scenarios throughout one's career;
- Flexible and adaptable in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment;
- Some travel domestically and/or internationally may be required.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical or Electrical (BSME, BSEE) Engineering;
8+ years of total work experience, with 2+ years minimum experience in automotive lighting design and development;
- Understanding of automotive lighting design fundamentals; prototype development and testing; systems engineering fundamentals; and system power and control logic are needed to be successful in this position;
- Intermediate design, packaging, A-class surface and 3D modeling skills (CATIA V5/6 preferred);
- Experience with DFMEA, DVP&R, BOM management and specifications development;
- Motivator that is organized and a team player that can offer solid solutions to quickly resolve challenging design issues with a creative passion for innovation.
- Multiple in-plant and program vehicle launch experience, within a combination of OEM and start-up environment.
- Master of Science degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering (MSME, MSEE);
- Thorough design, packaging, A-class surface and 3D modeling skills in CATIA V5/V6 (6,000+ hours);
- Senior level knowledge of modern lighting design, injection mold tooling, plating, finishing, attachment schemes and assembly methodology;
- Strong understanding of new and emerging technologies, products, and development methods to design a world-class consumer experience;
- Experience interpreting lighting, FEA and mold flow simulations.